Gustav Klimt love his cats, especially one he called "Katze." This project celebrates Klimt's art and love of cats. The multidisciplinary project has four parts. My students ADORE it!
There is a Teacher Talk page for each part of the project. Be sure to read these as you move through the project.
Part 1: Students read a biography of Gustav Klimt, narrated by his cat, Katze. The view examples of Klimt's art and complete two art responses that demand critical thinking and observation.
Part 2: Students read informational passages about cats. Each passage is written using these text structures: Cause & effect, compare & contrast, description, sequence, and problem & solution. They use a text structure information sheet to identify the passages' structures. This part ends with a text structure hunt sheet for student practice.
Part 3: Students complete three pre-writing activities while viewing a favorite cat photo (provided in the product). The activities are The Explanation Game, 10X3 Pre-Write, and Walk a Mile in Their Paws. These are collaborative and build oral language, observation skills, and perspective taking strategies.
Students use their pre-writing activities to create their own Rictometer poem about one of the chosen cat photos. A Rictometer poem is similar to a haiku and a diamonte. It's kind of a marriage of the two forms.
Part 4: Students review the Klimt art examples and choose one to focus on for their own art work. They choose a cat form (copied on cardstock) and use colored pencils, markers, black Sharpies, and gold metallic Sharpies to create a Klimt-inspired cat. They display these with their poems.
This product includes:
1. 6 Teacher Talk direction pages.
2. 3 page colored biography of Gustav Klimt.
3. 3 page black and white biography of Gustav Klimt.
4. 5 colored examples of Gustav Klimt's art.
5. 2 black and white art response sheets for student use.
6. 3 page colored non-fiction article about cats, using compare/contrast, problem/solution, cause/effect, description, and sequence text structures.
7. 3 page black and white non-fiction article about cats, using compare/contrast, problem/solution, cause/effect, description, and sequence text structures.
8. 1 "All About Text Structures" reference page for students (black and white).
9. 1 Text Structure Hunt page for students (black and white).
10. 1 Explanation Game directions page (black and white).
11. 1 10X3 pre-writing activity page (black and white).
12. 1 "Walk a Mile in Their Paws" pre-writing activity page (black and white).
13. 1 black and white Syllabication Reference Page.
14. 1 black and white Rictometer directions page.
15. 1 Rictometer Poem form page (black and white).
16. 2 teacher examples of Rictometer cat poems (black and white, minimal color).
17. 3 cat stationary pages for poetry publication (black and white).
18. 13 colored cat photos for writing inspiration.
19. 1 black and white art project direction sheet.
20. 1 page of colored photo process examples.
21. 1 colored finished example photo with quotes by Gustav Klimt.
22. 4 pages of cat pose outlines (black and white, to be copied on white cardstock).