This Poetry Writing Unit
provides students with a deep understanding of the poetry genre as they read and write poetry. In the eleven-day unit, students write ten different types of poetry
. (That means that there’s plenty of opportunities to excel at writing.) They’ll study figurative language, elements of poetry, and learn how to write a poem. The individual poetry lessons and step-by-step writing guides help students to write traditional and modern poems. In addition to writing extensively, students will study the genre, its vocabulary, and read and discuss more than 40 poems. This unit develops students’ understanding of poetry and increases their confidence as readers and writers. The best part is that the engaging poetry lessons will turn your most reluctant writers into poetry enthusiasts!
Common Core Standards:
- W.3, W.5, W.6
- RL.4, RL.5, RL.6, RL.10
- L.3, L.5, L.6
In this Poetry Writing Unit, students will:
- Develop an understanding of the poetry genre
- Recognize the features of poetry
- Incorporate sensory details and figurative language into their writing
- Practice utilizing poetry skills such as rhythm, rhyming, and descriptive vocabulary
- Follow the writing process to write 10 original poems
- Share their writing and work with others
This detailed Poetry Writing Unit includes:
- Unit Overview
- Poems at a Glance
- 11 Daily Lesson Plans
- 13 Genre-Specific Vocabulary Words
- 13 Poetic Examples of the Vocabulary Words
- Poetry Writing Ideas
- Poetry Grade Record Sheet and Rubric
- Student Poetry Writing Packet:
* Poetry Web
* Poetry Writing Ideas
* Vocabulary and Example Worksheets
* 27 Sample Poems
* Step-by-Step Poetry Writing Guides: List Poem, Haiku, Extended Cinquain, Simile Poem, Poem for Two Voices, Remember When Poem, Rhyme Poem, Ugly Poem, Concrete Poem, Free Verse Poem
This unit is also a part of two bundles...
* Writing Unit Bundle
* Poetry Reading, Writing, and Analyzing BUNDLE!
You may also like…
Poetry Analysis Unit
Speech Analysis Unit
--- Reading, Analyzing, Researching, Presenting
Reading Comprehension Skills - Mini-Unit Bundle -
Making Inferences, Finding the Main Idea, and Making Predictions
For even more Poetry Units
• "The Highwayman" Unit
• "Casey at the Bat" Unit
• Journey Poetry Unit -
Reading, Analyzing, and Writing
• Winter Poems - Poetry Analysis Flip Books
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
Brain Waves Instruction