Also included in
- Save with this bundle of 3 writing units. The bundle includes a Narrative Writing Unit, a Fable Writing Unit, and a Poetry Writing Unit. Together they span 31 days of instruction!Great news! These writing units include a traditional PDF version of the student writing packets, as well as links for$29.99$33.97Save $3.98
- Save with this Poetry Writing, Reading and Analyzing Bundle!Combined, the two units include 16 days of instruction! Both units can be easily combined, taught separately, or spread out through the duration of a school year.POETRY WRITING UNITThis unit provides students with a deep understanding of t$18.99$21.98Save $2.99
- Celebrate spring in the classroom with this set of unit plans for the entire month of April. With 20 days of engaging lesson plans, you and your students are all set for the entire month. This bundle includes four print-and-teach unit. Just download the units and get teaching! The units perfectl$25.99$31.96Save $5.97
- Save BIG with this set of 12 writing units! Meet every single writing standard as students progress through 12 engaging and detailed units. This writing unit bundle includes units for Narrative, Expository, Persuasive, Descriptive, Memoir, Biography, Speech, Opinion, Poetry, Letter, Myth, and Fabl$99.99$113.38Save $13.39
This Poetry Writing Unit provides students with a deep understanding of the poetry genre as they read and write poetry. In the eleven-day unit, students write ten different types of poetry. (That means that there are plenty of opportunities to excel at writing.) They’ll study figurative language, elements of poetry, and learn how to write a poem. The individual poetry lessons and step-by-step writing guides help students to write traditional and modern poems. In addition to writing extensively, students will study the genre, its vocabulary, and read and discuss more than 30 poems.
This unit develops students’ understanding of poetry and increases their confidence as readers and writers. The best part is that the engaging poetry lessons will turn your most reluctant writers into poetry enthusiasts!
Digital Version Included - This resource includes a traditional PDF version of the student writing packet, as well as a link for Google Slides. This means that this resource is ready for Google Classroom! The digital version of the packet is accessible from any computer and allows students to complete their work online. You’ll find links for digital versions of the student writing packet and the grading rubric included with this resource.
- W.3, W.5, W.6
- RL.4, RL.5, RL.6, RL.10
- L.3, L.5, L.6
In this Poetry Writing Unit, students will:
- Develop an understanding of the poetry genre
- Recognize the features of poetry
- Incorporate sensory details and figurative language into their writing
- Practice utilizing poetry skills such as rhythm, rhyming, and descriptive vocabulary
- Follow the writing process to write 10 original poems
- Share their writing and work with others
This detailed Poetry Writing Unit includes:
- Unit Overview
- Poems at a Glance
- 11 Daily Lesson Plans
- 13 Genre-Specific Vocabulary Words
- 13 Poetic Examples of the Vocabulary Words
- Poetry Writing Ideas
- Poetry Grade Record Sheet and Rubric
- Student Poetry Writing Packet
- Poetry Web
- Poetry Writing Ideas
- Vocabulary and Example Worksheets
- Over 25 Sample Poems
- Step-by-Step Poetry Writing Guides: List Poem, Haiku, Extended Cinquain, Simile Poem, Personification Poem, Remember When Poem, Rhyme Poem, 5 Senses Poem, Concrete Poem, Free Verse Poem
* Links are provided for examples of concrete poetry. Simply, click on the links to access the sample poems.
FYI: This unit is also a part of two bundles...
You may also like…
- Poetry Analysis Unit
- Speech Analysis Unit --- Reading, Analyzing, Researching, Presenting
- Reading Comprehension Skills - Mini-Unit Bundle - Making Inferences, Finding the Main Idea, and Making Predictions
For even more Poetry Units check out:
- "The Highwayman" Unit
- "Casey at the Bat" Unit
- Journey Poetry Unit - Reading, Analyzing, and Writing
- Winter Poems - Poetry Analysis Flip Books
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction