Year 6 (5th Grade): Performing Classic Poetry
Edgar Allan Poe - 2 week unit
A two-week literacy unit of work for Year 6, containing lesson plans and pupil resources, looking at some of Poe's atmospheric poems with dramatic mood changes in them.
. In this unit pupils will:
- read and listen to classic poems by Edgar Allan Poe
- research the historical and literary context of the poems
- engage imaginatively with poetic language
- discover how Poe uses poetic devices to change the mood of a poem
- create their own mysterious Raven character
- hold a debate to find out what type of poetry 'The Raven' is
- write a recount of the frenzied events of 'The Raven'
- express the mood of a poem through performance
- prepare and give a performance to an audience
The poems include 'The Bells' and 'The Raven'.