Also included in
- This is a bundle of 2 poetry activities! Use these as part of your literacy stations or as stand-alone poetry writing activities. These are great for National Poetry Month in April!Here's what you get:United Colors of PoetryPoetry Quilt Mini-UnitBONUS MATERIAL! Poetry Presentation Party! InvitationsPrice $8.00Original Price $8.50Save $0.50
- This bundle includes:1. Roll of Dice Poetry2. Jenga Poetry3. Poetry Task Cards4. Recycled Holiday Cards Poetry Writing5. Poetry With Friends--Halloween6. Poetry With Friends--Earth Day7. United Color of Poetry--Paint Chip Inspired Poetry Writing8. Poetry Quilt9. Poetry Graphic Organizers10Price $21.35Original Price $30.50Save $9.15
Students write poetry inspired by paint chips! Perfect for your literacy centers, National Poetry Day, and National Poetry Month!
I love teaching poetry! Poetry writing represents an opportunity for your students to truly exercise their minds. The teaching and learning of poetry does not have to be drudgery. Yes, students do need to learn the basics like poetry terms and genres, but why not start your poetry unit with some fun activities? Give them a chance to play with the language. This will help them develop confidence and enjoyment.
I encourage you to write poetry alongside your students. Let them hear you working out problems in your own writing. Share your poetry with your students. Ask them for help and advice. By developing a community of writers, your students will want to take chances with their writing because they’ll feel safe in doing so.
I have been saving paint chips (paint color samples) for a while knowing that I wanted to use them somehow, someway as a creative writing lesson. The colors are so inviting! Most of the paint chips feature such creative color names. As I was reading the color names, I started thinking about the connotations of the color names too. And that’s when I had a brainstorm that I could have my students become inspired by the paint chip colors, and paint names to write some poetry.
Here's what you get:
- Teacher directions and lesson plans
- Brainstorming form (included in this product)
- Stream of consciousness writing form (included)
- Poetry Peer Conferencing Form (included)
- Sample brainstorming form and stream of consciousness form (included)
- Sample paint chip poems (included)
- *Note: I did not supply a rubric for this creative activity. This is in accordance with my educational philosophy as listed in my profile. Sometimes it's good to just let the students create and learn just for education's sake.
- Paint chips (free at most paint or retail stores)
If you like this creative product, you may also like:
keywords: poetry, paint chips, art, creative, bulletin board displays, National Poetry Month, April, creative writing, National Poetry Day, captivatemotivateeducate, art, connotations, brainstorming, peer conference form, lesson plans, literacy centers