Point of View
This unit is Common Core aligned with anchor standard Reading Literature 6: Assess how point of view or purpose shapes the content and style of a text.
Included are the following:
1. A beautiful Prezi to introduce your students to the five different types of point of view (link is provided).
2. A handout that explains how to annotate text to identify point of view will walk students through the process step-by-step.
3. Three different sets of worksheets that use short passages from 27 different novels (mostly young adult Y.A) for students to practice identifying point of view, determine author’s purpose, and practice rewriting a passage from a different point of view.
4. If worksheets aren’t your thing, the same novel passages are included on a set of task cards that can be used in small groups or centers.
5. An 18-question matching and multiple-choice quiz, with answer key, is included.
6. An infographic in PDf and .png that overviews the parts of point of view and how to differentiate between them.
Worksheets and quizzes include BOTH formats: Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat Reader PDF.
NOVEL EXCERPTS ANALYZED:
* INSURGENT, by Veronica Roth
* HOW TO BABYSIT A GRANDPA by Jean Reagan
* ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER by Seth Grahame-Smith
* BEAUTIFUL REDEMPTION by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
* ANANSI BOYS by Neil Gaiman
* THE 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE TEENS by Stephen R. Covey
* THE WIZARD OF OZ by l. Frank Baum
* INHERITANCE by Christopher Paolini
* HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS by J.K. Rowling
* THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins
* MANIAC MAGEE by Jerry Spinelli
* I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS by Maya Angelou
* LITTLE WOMEN by Louisa May Alcott
* SCORPIO RACES by Maggie Stiefvater
* NUMBER THE STARS by Lois Lowry
* CINDER by Marissa Meyer
* LEGEND by Marie Lu
* HOUSE OF SECRETS by Chris Columbus & Ned Vizzini
* ENCLAVE by Ann Aguire
* BIRTHMARKED by Caragh M. O’Brien
* CLOCKWORK PRINCESS by Cassandra Clare
* THE GRAVEYARD BOOK by Neil Gaiman
* LORD OF THE FLIES by William Golding
* THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN by Katherine Applegate
* SPLENDORS AND GLOOM by Laura Amy Schlitz
* BOMB: THE RACE TO BUILD – AND STEAL – THE WORLD by Steve Sheinkin
Students will have a great time reading passages from their favorite novels then thinking about the point of view of each one.
Note: The Prezi is available via a URL link not as a download. The Url link eases the confusion of which folder to open and decreases the file size of the product so the download is much quicker. Your computer will ask if you want to “open” the link. No worries; there’s no virus, so just open and enjoy. For full-screen viewing, be sure to click on the small icon in the lower right-hand corner (just like on YouTube).
Your students might also enjoy my Figurative Language Unit
which includes a PP, worksheets, and an interactive notebook flip book.
Connect with me at:
. . .Facebook
. . .Pinterest
. . .My Blog
. . .Instagram
Thanks so much for stopping by!