PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This point of view resource contains everything you need to introduce and practice identifying point of view and how it affects a story. This resource includes paired passages, mentor read aloud suggestions, posters, graphic organizers, and more.
Updated 10/18/2018 to include more texts and small group activities.
This is aligned to the CCSS for 4th grade (RL.4.6) and 5th grade (RL.5.6).
Since this resource spans 4th and 5th grade, you will notice that it contains a variety of resources for different point of view skills and varying text levels and lengths.
Resources for the following skills are included:
• Identifying 1st Person Point of View
• Identifying 3rd Person Point of View (Basic 3rd Person and the Types of 3rd Person - if you wish to teach the different types)
• Comparing two texts describing the same event written using different points of view (short texts and longer texts)
• Identifying how point of view influences how a story is written (by analyzing the same event told from different points of view)
• Identifying the narrator
• Writing from specific points of view
This unit focuses on analyzing point of view in literature (firsthand and secondhand accounts are not included).
2. Essential questions to help guide teaching and discussion.
3. Graphic organizers and interactive templates to use with the included passages or any text
4. Rubrics and checklists for assessment
5. Mentor text suggestions
6. Four SETS of passages (with varying purposes) for a total of 20 passages (some paired and some individual).
7. Four small group point of view activities (task cards, two writing activities, and three printables for identifying the narrator)
Want more Point of View Resources?
You may also like: