Teaching the popular short story "Poison"? This product contains a lesson plan, writing activity, mentor sentences, quiz, and point of view graphic organizer for "Poison" by Roald Dahl.
Included in this file:
→ Editable lesson plan: Print and teach! This lesson plan includes standards, discussion notes, pre-reading and post-reading topics, as well as literary devices to highlight during the story discussions.
→ A writing assignment that gives students five topics. They must narrow those topics down to a specific topic, and then write a topic sentence. Ask students to write an objective summary to check comprehension. Possible sentences included.
→ Scaffolded mentor sentences: I have included TWO sets of mentor sentences for differentiation. Each set pulls sentences from "Poison." One set asks students to identify the underlined clause - dependent or independent. The second set asks students to identify the type of sentence - simple, compound, complex, or compound-complex.
→ A graphic organizer: "Poison" is told in first person point of view. What are all the characters' perspectives though? How would the story be different if it were told in third person?
→ A quiz in multiple formats. Check for comprehension with this ten multiple-choice questions quiz. Five analytical questions are included too.
I usually spend about two days teaching "Poison." My lesson plan includes ideas for differentiating, as well as extension activities. None of the activities depend upon each other - use one or more pieces easily.
Both editable and non-editable versions of the activities are in this set for "Poison."
• Marigolds by Eugenia W. Collier: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Writing
• The Colomber by Dino Buzzati Quiz, Activities, Mentor Sentences
• The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Lady or the Tiger by Frank Stockton: Pre-Reading, Quiz, Mentor Sentence
• The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs: Mentor Sentences, Quiz, and Writing Activities
• The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant Questions, Mentor Sentences, and Activities
• The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, and Activities
• Wine on the Desert by Max Brand: Vocabulary, Writing, Graphic Organizer