This is a paired non-fiction/fiction differentiated unit used with the Magic Tree House books Polar Bears and the Arctic and Polar Bears Past Bedtime.
We purchase enough copies of Magic Tree House Polar Bears and the Arctic so students can partner read the book.
1 copy of Polar Bears Past Bedtime is used as a teacher read aloud. This can be checked out from your school library or local library or purchased.
Students use the information learned in the book and choose 3 out of 9 menu choices to complete. The menu choices include Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences, which shifts the method of presentation to accommodate the different intelligences. Bloom's Taxonomy is also considered for each menu choice so there is an increased cognitive demand.
Included in the 20-page unit are:
A Cover Page
1. Teacher directions and student directions
2. Tic Tac Toe Menu
3. Directions for the Index Card with Animal Facts, File Folder Activity and Vocabulary Words
4. A printable to record vocabulary words (2 pages)
5. Rubrics for student and teacher use: Explorer Research, Animal Habitat, Diorama, Story, Poster, and Song. The students know what is expected for each activity and can self-monitor their learning. This helps them to choose 3 activities of their choice allowing for quality and engaging work. (6 pages)
6. Printable to draft an informational report (2 pages)
7. Final draft printable for the informational report (2 pages)
8. Printable to draw the habitat
9. Scaffolding graphic organizer for the story (2 pages)
10. Final draft printable for the story
11. Printable for the song
A Thank You Page
Depending on the choices students make, some will need clay, a shoe box, index cards and paper.
This unit has a speaking/presentation component that's also tied to the common core standards.
The fiction story Polar Bears Past Bedtime can be read as a read aloud. Students have success with listening comprehension because the author pairs the two books connecting facts and ideas.
Polar Bears and the Arctic
Fountas & Pinnell:
AR (Accelerated Reader): 4.6
Grade Level Equivalent: 4.3
Polar Bears Past Bedtime
Fountas & Pinnell: M
AR (Accelerated Reader): 3.3
Grade Level Equivalent: 3.2