Polar Penguins: Nonfiction Reading, Comprehension, and Craftivity pack!
(For a detailed overview of how we use this pack in our classroom, click here
for a post about this pack on our website!)
Here is what is included in this pack:
1. A full-color nonfiction text on polar penguins called 'Polar Penguins'
2. 3 close reading passages (one correlates with 'Polar Penguins')
3. 3 vocabulary practice worksheets
4. 3 comprehension practice worksheets
5. 3 critical thinking practice worksheets
6. All the templates necessary for a fun and interactive penguin craftivity.
We recommend getting 'Polar Penguins' printed and bound into a book. You can also print the pages in color and laminate them for durability, binding it together with rings, string, or brads. You can use this version of the text for a read-aloud or guided reading groups, if you print multiple copies. It also looks amazing when projected onto a screen, if this is an easier way for you and your students to read it together. This text is perfect for highlighting text features in nonfiction, as well as diving into the world of penguins! It includes the following nonfiction text features: table of contents, captions, diagrams, illustrations to assist in understanding, labels, glossary, and index.
There are three reading passages included in this pack, one of which is closely aligned with the text from 'Polar Penguins.' A vocabulary, critical response, and comprehension worksheet are included for each passage, for a total of 9 handouts.
The Penguin Craftivity is the perfect way to end your study of penguins! Full instructions and all pieces for the craftivity are included in this pack. This is a fun way for students to reflect on what they have learned about penguins throughout this unit, put their learning into their own words, and create a really attractive penguin craft that also displays their learning in an interactive way. The finished projects look amazing on bulletin boards and around the classroom!
This pack is aligned with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) listed below:
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.3.1. Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.3.4. Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 3 topic or subject area.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.3.5. Use text features and search tools (e.g., key words, sidebars, hyperlinks) to locate information relevant to a given topic efficiently.
Depending on how much time you and your students dedicate to this pack each day, you can use this pack for one to two weeks. This also aligns very well and can be used in conjunction with our Polar Animals [Text Features in Nonfiction Texts] Reading Unit of Study
Be sure to check out all of our Nonfiction Reading, Comprehension, and Craftivity packs:
Polar Penguins: Nonfiction Reading, Comprehension, and Craftivity pack
The Mighty Walrus: Nonfiction Reading, Comprehension, and Craftivity pack
If you have questions or suggestions, please let us know! We hope you enjoy this pack.