Uncle Sam’s Lodging House
was created by Joseph Keppler in 1882 and reflects many Americans’ attitudes towards immigrants in general – and towards Irish immigrants in particular – during the late 19th century.
The download includes the following:
1. A PowerPoint
- complete with discussion notes for each slide - that teachers can use to lead students through the cartoon.
2. An introductory paragraph
that describes the circumstances behind the cartoon.
3. A full-size picture
of the cartoon, allowing students to label as instructed.
4. A graphic organizer
that assists students in identifying different parts of the cartoon, analyzing symbols, and determining the meaning of the cartoon.
5. A series of questions
based on the political cartoon.
6. An answer key
These resources can also be purchased as part of a bundle I have posted on TpT: Political Cartoons in American History
. In addition to these cartoons, the bundle includes:
● The Repeal, or the Funeral of Miss-Ame Stamp
. You can also download this one for FREE.
● Join, or Die
● Cinques-Tetes, or the Paris Monster
● Congressional Pugilists
● Ograbme, or the American Snapping Turtle
● Intercourse or Impartial Dealings
● The Plumb-Pudding in Danger
● The Monroe Doctrine
● In Memoriam – our civil service as it was
● The Downfall of Mother Bank
● King Andrew I
● The Age of Iron – Man as He Expects to Be
● Southern Chivalry__ Argument versus Clubs
● Mistress Columbia
● The Copperhead Party
● Move On
● The Bosses of the Senate
● Who Stole the People’s Money?
I continue to add cartoons related to United States History. These are all valuable resources to my own curriculum.
Your feedback regarding this product is always appreciated. And feel free to browse my store for other resources related to US History, World History, and Government.
You can find me on both Facebook and Pinterest
Should you have any questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me via the Q&A section on TpT.