Need your 2nd grade students to learn about the Next Generation Science Standard (NGSS) 2-LS2-2, pollen, pollinators, flowers, or how plants depend on animals for survival? This bundle has you covered from introduction to assessment and you save more than 20% by getting this bundle.
The study of plants isn't just flowers, bees, and pollen. It's about survival and how plants attract pollinators so that new plants will grow. There are so many resources in this unit bundle. Start with science and then carry over into your language arts lessons and after that add a touch of math collecting data from the attraction experiment. Included is also a mini book to apply what they have learned. I didn't forget the quiz if you need a grade. It is included as well.
Check out all of these resources that are included:
NGSS Pollination: Plants Depend on Animals Vocabulary and Activities
Included in your download:
1. Full page photos of animals helping plants in the pollination process. There are 28 photos so you can print them all or pick and choose what you print (if you are worried about ink).
2. Full page collections of photos that depict the shapes of flowers. Online resources are also provided.
3. A graph to complete that shows which shape of flower is preferred by your students incorporates math too.
4. What is your Favorite Scent? experiment and graphing will help students when they create their own flower.
5. What Attracts Us? writing and illustration paper for students to make a connection by identifying things that attract them.
6. “If I were a Pollinator” booklet allows students to design their own perfect flower that would attract them.
7. “Animals Help with Pollination” writing pages provide students an opportunity to summarize the sequence of events that occur during pollination. Encourage students to use temporal/transition words: first, next, after that, finally, etc.
8. Magazine cover (black & white along with color) allows students to celebrate the creation of their flower by putting their photo on the cover of a magazine. Follow this with their “Research Leads to Plant’s Discovery” writing and create a mini magazine or bulletin board display. Students can select anywhere in the world for their flower to grow as they include the who, what, when, where, why, how, types of information about their “discovery”.
9. Label the parts of a flower and talk about text features.
10. 12 vocabulary and definition half page cards help students understand the jobs of the parts of the flower. Includes: filament, stigma, anther, petal, stem, pollen, pollination, nectar, pistil, stamen, attract, prefer
11. Animals Help Pollinate flip book has students recall three animals that are pollinators…it’s not just all about bees. They can write and draw to support their information.
NGSS Pollination ELA Activities: Plants Depend on Animals, Science Materials Common Core Standard
Included in your download:
1. Full page photos (20 pages) show the parts of the plant that are important for pollination, how plants vary and assorted animals on flowers.
2. Adjectives: anchor chart, 40 adjective cards, writing paper, find the adjective worksheet
3. Adverbs: anchor chart, 24 adverb cards, writing paper, find the adverb worksheet and a pick an adverb to expand the sentence paper
4. Short and long vowel coloring sheet
5. Compare and contrast nectar and pollen Venn diagram
6. Suffix –tion: anchor chart and flip to match book
7. Collective Nouns: anchor chart, interactive notebook pocket or stand-alone pouch with double sided word/definition cards
8. Suffixes –er and –est, comparative and superlative worksheet
9. Compound Words: anchor chart and 2 worksheets
10. Change the Y to i and add –es worksheet
11. Nonfiction Text Feature: Fill in the blank Table of Contents and Glossary
12. Fiction: Cut, Sort, & Paste worksheet of characters, settings, problems
13. Parts of a Flower Crossword Puzzle: determine vocabulary word for definition clue
14. Making Words: use the letters in “pollination”
Common Core Standard ELA Language Standard: Produce, Expand and Rearrange Sentences
3 activities included in your download:
1. Write or produce sentences about provided illustrations.
2. Copy the provided sentence but expand it. Directions request adjectives, adverbs, etc.
3. Rearrange the provided sentences.
Pollen Mini Book for Science Lesson on Pollination, Flowers, or Bees
This pollen mini book is just one page and folds to create two pages of text. Students color the bubble letters and the border on the cover page. Then students select adjectives that would describe pollen. Students will also draw flowers. The final page offers a small word search. Just a little bit of fun mixed in with learning.
Pollination Vocabulary Quiz: Plants Depend on Animals Next Generation Science
Let your students show what they have learned about nectar, pollen, pollination and attract.
Included in your download:
Two page assessment containing
4 fill in the blank sentences with word bank choices
circle the pollinators section
and 3 extended response question
EXTRA BONUS Graphing Activity Included
I have created an additional activity that is only available in this bundle. Let your students vote and create a graph for a "Flower Power" bulletin board. It's the perfect activity to introduce the entire unit. And it's only available in this bundle.
Save more than 20% when you grab the bundle.
Learn to love science.
Any claims of correlation or alignment to the Next Generation Science Standards are solely those of Wendy Wished and have not been evaluated or endorsed by the creators of NGSS.