Pollinator Bee House Spring STEM Challenge for Middle School
Also included in
- Middle schoolers can be a tough crowd. Are you struggling to keep your middle school students engaged in rigorous STEM learning? You can promote critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork, and communication skills by teaching the engineering design process with these engaging STEM challenges! EacPrice $51.94Original Price $74.20Save $22.26
- It is a challenge to keep students engaged when the weather is changing and holidays are around the corner. If you are struggling to keep your students’ attention and get to the end of the period, you are not alone! Now imagine having exciting, middle school STEM challenges on hand to keep your studPrice $38.67Original Price $55.25Save $16.58
- Do your students understand the importance of protecting pollinators in our environment? Teach your students why we need to "save the bees," with this mini ecology and environmental science unit. The bundle includes a research project, a movie guide and a STEM challenge, which are sure to engage divPrice $8.00Original Price $10.00Save $2.00
Now that spring has sprung, the weather is getting warmer and keeping middle school students engaged is harder. Now imagine capturing your students' attention with an awesome spring STEM challenge, while getting outside and enjoying the nicer weather. This exciting pollinator house design challenge will let you do exactly that!
In this activity, students will learn about native pollinators. Then they are tasked with designing and building a home for mason bees using household materials.
Grab this resource today so you can take a break from planning and know your students will still be learning and having fun as you enjoy the spring season!
What’s included in the spring STEM challenge?
- Detailed teacher notes that include suggestions for facilitating the project during in-person, distance, and hybrid learning
- PDF, Google, and Easel versions of the student project packets
- A slideshow to assist with synchronous or asynchronous lesson facilitation
- A rubric for easy grading
- End-of-project celebration certificates
- Printed or digital copies of the student project packet
- The building materials for this project are flexible! Mason bees like to build nests in pre-made tubes. PVC pipes, sticks, cardboard, and clean recyclables work well.
- Art supplies for decorating the outside of the houses (optional)
How can this spring STEM challenge be used in your classroom?
- Let your students experience real-world engineering as they problem solving using the design process
- Connect the lesson to your school garden program and attract pollinators that will help your plants grow
- Celebrate Earth Day by learning about the importance of bees and why we need to save them
- Leave the STEM challenge as a sub lesson plan
- Assign the activity to be completed at home on virtual or asynchronous learning days
- Use the resource for extra credit, a holiday break packet, or an extension activity
Did you know you can earn credit towards future TPT purchases by leaving a review? If you download this product, please come back and leave a review at the product page or through “My Purchases” under “My Account” at TPT.
If you liked this product, check out:
Let’s stay in touch!