Pollinator Bees and Ecology Research and CER Writing Project for MS-LS2-4
- Google Apps™
- Easel Activity
Also included in
- Are you looking for independent research projects for life science or biology? Maybe you want to incorporate more reading and writing in your science class? Introduce your students to real world discoveries and amazing phenomena with these low-prep research projects. Students will gather informationPrice $10.72Original Price $16.75Save $6.03
- Do your students understand the importance of protecting pollinators in our environment? Teach your students why we need to "save the bees," with this mini ecology and environmental science unit. The bundle includes a research project, a movie guide and a STEM challenge, which are sure to engage divPrice $6.40Original Price $10.00Save $3.60
Are you looking to help your students understand the important role of bees in ecosystems worldwide? Grab this pollinator research project, and inspire your students to “save the bees!” and advocate for pollinator-friendly environmental policies. Students will gather information from the text and video sources. Then they will craft an expository essay using the CER format.
The lesson meets science, reading, and writing standards, including NGSS MS-LS2-4. Students begin by gathering evidence from a video and an article. The sources teach students about the role of bees in pollination and the decline of bee populations. Next, students synthesize the information to create a claim, identify the reasons that support their claim, and find the evidence from the video and text that supports those reasons. This information is compiled in an easy-to-use graphic organizer. Finally, students produce an essay to explain their ideas about why people should protect bees.
The research project is independent and low-prep. The research project can be used for teacher-led lessons, but this resource also makes a great distance learning activity, Earth Day lesson, cross-curricular project, STEM sub plan, holiday break packet, or extra credit assignment. Grab this activity today to save your planning and prep time, while knowing your students will be engaged and inspired while learning about the role of bees in our local ecosystems and our global food chain!
What’s included in the pollinator research project?
- Detailed teacher notes to assist with facilitation and lesson planning
- Printable PDF, Easel, and Google versions of the student worksheets
- Embedded links to quality background research video clips and an article
- A video guide and annotation key are included to support students with gathering evidence
- Graphic organizers to support the CER scientific writing process
- Easy-to-use grading rubric and answer key
- Digital or printable copies of the student worksheets
- A copy of the background research article or a device with internet access to read on
- A teacher's computer with internet access or student devices to watch the video clip
How can the pollinator CER writing task be used in your classroom?
- Help your students understand pollination and plant science
- Explore the role of bees in our local ecosystems and global food chains
- Meet Next Generation Science Standards, including MS-LS2-4
- Celebrate Earth Day and inspire your students to “Save the Bees!”
- Use as a low-prep STEM or Science sub plan
- Assign a cross-curricular ELA and STEM project
- Practice scientific reading and writing with the claim, evidence, and reasoning (CER)
- Introduce real-world STEM disciplines and professions
- Develop 21st-century STEM skills, such as communication and critical thinking
- Assign extra credit and extension activities
Did you know you can earn credit toward future TPT purchases by leaving a review? If you download this product, please come back and leave a review on the product page or through “My Purchases” under “My Account” at TPT
If you liked this product, check out:
Let’s stay in touch!
If you have any questions about this product or my store, please send me an email. I’d love to hear from you! Follow me on TPT to learn about new products, sales, and freebies!