In this flash card activity, students will practice the properties of the following polynomial graphs: quadratic, cubic, and quartic. They will assess themselves on properties like end behavior, the leading coefficient, the degree, the number of zeros/roots, and the vertex.
Flash cards – 5 pages, 15 pairs of flashcards (30 total cards)
This activity can be used in a couple of different ways:
Option 1: (Individual Activity)
1. Copy and cut out a class set of flash cards. Put flash cards in plastic baggies.
2. Distribute flash cards to students and allow them to match the cards together that make a pair.
Option 2: (Partner Memory Game)
1. Copy and cut out flash cards so that when your class is working in partners, each partner pair will have a set.
2. Instruct the students to place the cards face down on their desk.
3. Like the game Memory, partner 1 will go first and turn over two cards. If the two cards are a match, then partner 1 keeps the pair and gets to choose again to make another match. If the two cards are not a match, then partner 2 will go.
4. Students continue playing until all cards are claimed. The winner is the student with the most pairs.
The matching pairs are vertically aligned on the page as they appear before being cut.
If you do not have time to cut out the flash cards, let your students help you! It will not detract from the activity if the students cut out the cards themselves.
Looking for other polynomial resources? Check these out!
Investigation of Polynomial Functions
Polynomial Flash Cards – Quadratics, Cubics, and Quartics
Quiz: Polynomial Functions
Practice with the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra -Sudoku