Would you like to enliven ancient history with a fun, challenging writing project? Maybe breathe new life into a science or geography lesson about volcanoes?
The Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius RAFT Writing Project contains a RAFT writing project for the social studies or science classroom. This project may be used as a creative research project or as a summarizing assignment to end a unit of study on the destruction of Pompeii, the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, or Ancient Rome.
What is a RAFT, you might ask? RAFT is an acronym for a powerful writing strategy that provides rigor, flexibility, and variety. A RAFT can be implemented in all content areas, thus making it an excellent Writing Across the Curriculum resource.
Young writers might pursue one of several genres of writing (expository, narrative, descriptive, argumentative or persuasive) to create one of several products (letter, television commercial, diary entry, etc.).
I define this further in the packet.
Why are RAFTS wonderful for reading comprehension assessment and writing projects?
(1) They require higher-order thinking skills: students must role-play as the character they choose and utilize unique character traits to
write a convincing response.
(2) They are extremely difficult to plagiarize or copy from the Internet. This is NOT a book report. Students must synthesize key details and create a brand new writing.
(3) As a result, students will emerge from the writing project with a much better understanding of the assigned reading. After all, they must demonstrate mastery in the project.
The packet includes (1) a classroom-ready printable of the RAFT for the destruction of Pompeii;
(2) a rubric that you might use to evaluate students after completion of the project;
(3) trustworthy websites to begin student research (if needed);
(4) step-by-step instructions if you should choose to create a classroom blog on EduBlogs for publication;***
(5) and a "Ticket out the Door" summarizing strategy to gauge what students learned about Pompeii in the unit or project.
***Consider implementing the classroom blogging tutorial to engage your students with a blogging project.
Consider purchasing it today!
If you like this product, consider purchasing these related items from my store:
1. Great Wall of China - PowerPoint Presentation - Ancient Civilizations
2. Ancient Civilizations - Rome - Roman Rulers Research Project with Rubric
3. Ancient Civilizations - Egypt - Famous Pharaohs Research Project with Rubric
4. The Colosseum - PowerPoint Presentation - Ancient Civilizations
5. Absolute & Relative Location Assignment: NFL Football Teams + Google Earth Tour!
6. Fifty (50) Landforms and Bodies of Water Workbook - Visual Dictionary
7. World Cultures Theme Park Map Project - Social Studies/Substitute Lesson
8. The Aquarium Map Scale Project: Geography: Map Tools: Substitute Lesson
9. 100 Social Studies Research Questions Elementary/Middle Grades
10. Hurricanes, Cyclones, Typhoons - What is the Difference? Assignment
Pompeii & Mount Vesuvius RAFT Writing Project + Rubric + Blogging Tutorial
by Christopher Mitchell
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License