Have lots of fun using popcorn to learn about mass and weight in your kinder or grade one classroom!
- check a prediction about the masses of two objects by using an equal arm balance
- discuss the action of an equal arm balance
when heavy objects are placed in one pan and lighter objects in the other pan
- predict which object would be heavier than, lighter than or have about the same mass as another object
- use drawings and words to record mass comparisons informally
- use an equal arm balance to compare the masses of two objects
- use comparative language to describe mass - eg heavier, lighter, heaviest, lightes
In this lesson, your students will compare corn kernels with popped corn (and also other classroom manipulatives) on the equal arm balance. Will the same amount of kernels weigh more or less once popped? Why?
They will record their predictions and recordings in their ten page 'record book' with drawings and writing.
This lesson (which can be broken down into several mini-lessons) will excite and motivate your students. We have had so much fun creating it - with custom made exclusive graphics for clear crisp printing and viewing.