Do you need a fun way for your students to interact with high frequency words? I created a popcorn themed high frequency words activities.
There are 500 High Frequency Words in this bundle.
The words that I used are from Literacy First.
This product comes in color and black and white.
This packet comes with:
Letters A-Z on popcorn for word walls
500 High Frequency Words on popcorns
500 High Frequency Words on popcorn containers
Popcorn High Frequency Words Writing Page
Popcorn Tic-Tac-Toe Page
Popcorn Spin the High Frequency Words Page
Take Home Word Cards
Ideas on how to use the Popcorn High Frequency Word Cards:
1. You can play Go Fish or Memory
2. Hide the cards around the room and have students find them.
3. Hide the cards around your classroom. Have students write them into the sight words writing page.
4. You can play games like mingle or 2 circles.
5. Match popcorns to their containers.
Ideas on how to use the Popcorn High Frequency Words Writing Page:
1. Hide words around the classroom and have students write the words into the popcorn. Once all of the popcorn has a word in it then the writing page is complete.
2. You can have students use the word wall and write words into the popcorns.
3. Once words have been written into the popcorns, students can go back and rewrite them in a different color. They can rewrite the words a few times so it will look like a rainbow.
Ideas on how to use the Popcorn Tic-Tac-Toe Page:
There are two different types of tic-tac-toe pages. The first page has only one tic-tac-toe on it. I created this to help students that would get overwhelmed with more than one on a page. The second page has four tic-tac-toes on it. Have students write words from the word wall into the popcorns and then have them find those popcorn word cards. Place the popcorn words into a pile. The first student turns over a card and finds the word on the tic-tac-toe board and colors the popcorn. The second student turns over a card and finds the word and colors it. This continues until all of the words have been found. Whichever student that has 3 of the same color popcorns in a row wins.
Ideas on how to use the Popcorn Spin the High Frequency Words Page:
• There are two different types of spinning pages. The first one has four words that students can spin. The second page has 8 words that students can spin. This gives you the option of being able to choose the spinner that you feel benefits your students the most.
• In order to play the spinning game, you have to have a pencil and a paperclip. Students place the paper clip in the middle of the circle and the pencil goes inside of the paperclip. A student spins the paperclip and whatever word it lands on that is the word that will be written in the box below. Students continue to spin the spinner until all boxes have words written in them.
Ideas on how to use the Take Home Word Cards:
I created these cards so that parents can have the opportunity to work with their children at home with their high frequency words.
This activity compliments my School Years Daily Calendar Journal
. I tell my students that popcorn words are words that pop up everywhere. We write the words down each day on the daily calendar journal.
I also use the popcorn words as my password. Before entering or leaving my classroom, my students have to tell me the password. My students love the opportunity to tell me the popcorn word. Check out my Password
Product that compliments this activity.
My main goal is to have students actively engaged with their peers while learning their high frequency words.
Common Core State Standards that are covered in this activity
RF.K.1, RF.K.1.A, RF.K.1.B, RF.K.3, RF.K.3A, RF.K.3.B, RF.K.3.C, RF.K.3.D, RF.1.1, RF.1.3, RF.1.3.A, RF.1.3.B, RF.1.3.C, RF.1.3.G
~If you like this product then you might like:
High Frequency Words List A, B, C
Writing Sight Words
High Frequency Word, Find, Write, and Read
*****Make sure that you follow me at Teachers R Us
by clicking on the green star to insure that you get the latest updates about my store.*****