Popcorn Word Family and Rhyming Poetry Pack: an at ed et ig ip op ot ub um. Teaching kids to write rhyming poetry using a word family study, for short vowel sounds.
**Please download the free preview before you buy this and use the selection of sheets with your students, I am sure they will enjoy themselves and learn along the way!**
12 activities for each word family plus a cover page and index.
Worksheets for each word family group:
1. Create Word Family Poster, trace and draw – 2 varieties
2. Cut and paste in alphabetical order
3. Writing words and creating sentence sheet
4. Cartoon Creations
5. Word cubes, two cubes for each word family
6. Trace a poem and draw a picture related to it (poem written by me)
7. Brain Storm short sentences that end with “…”
8. Based on a theme Brain Storm short sentences that end with “…”
9. Word Search (sheet with answers included)
10. Poem writing and picture window – 2 formats
11. Spelling Test sheet
12. Word of the Day for each word – picture, sentence and definitions
Word Wall Posters
Two to choose from, kids can create their own word wall posters
Popcorn theme poster or a poster with room to draw pictures related to the words
- How to draw website: http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/learn-to-draw
- Or go to Pinterest and search "How to draw …."
- I have attached my free blank template "How to draw…"
Kids can cut out the words, physically sort in alphabetical order and then paste.
Writing the word family words, this can be used as a review. A chance to put the new words into sentences.
A silly poem for each word poem to trace (written by me)
A chance to use their words into making a simple rhyming poem
There are two formats for the poem; handwriting lines and normal lines.
This gives students a chance to use the words they have learnt, the cubes can be used to assist them in writing sentences that end with the words. The second sheet is to choose a theme, then based on the theme, write sentences ending with the word family words. This has been designed to assist the students in creating their poems.
Spelling Test Game
This is a spelling test where the two last letters are the same, so it's pretty easy. My kids love this and it builds their confidence for spelling other words. Laminate and use over and over again. Use as a game - one kid reads out the lists and others write the words.
This is a fun way to use their new words to create a cartoon, a fantastic way to encourage reluctant writers
Two cubes for each word family each with six words from the list, they are used to make up sentences for the Brain Storm activity or for sentence building. Great for a homework activity.
Word of the Day
A page for each word on the list, a gentle introduction into looking up words in the dictionary. Look up the definition, draw a picture and write a sentence for each word. Choose a few to do or do them all! Great for words from the lists that are not used every day e.g. brig, fret, trot, clan, slum, span, fled.
This is a simple word search, the words are only going, left to right or downwards. The answers are included.
Thanks to the following TPT sellers:
Fonts: Hello Fonts
Clipart: Sarah Beth
Borders: Paula Kim Studio
Word Family Words Used:
- ban began bran can clan fan man plan scan span than van
- bat cat chat fat flat hat mat pat rat sat splat that
- bed bled fed fled Fred led red shed shred sled sped wed
- bet fret get jet let met net pet set vet wet yet
- big brig dig fig gig jig pig rig swig twig wig zig
- chip drip flip grip hip lip rip ship sip slip tip trip
- bop chop cop crop drop flop hop mop pop shop stop top
- cot dot got hot jot lot not plot pot rot spot trot
- bub club cub dub grub hub rub scrub shrub stub sub tub
- crumb drum gum hum Mum plum rum slum sum swum thumb yum