This is a set of 95 enrichment, reinforcement and review task cards for your lessons on "The Evolution of Populations." Students will identify sources of genetic variation, and will answer questions about the Hardy-Weinberg Principle, patterns of natural selection and speciation. Students will use their critical thinking skills to solve many Hardy-Weinberg problems. Key vocabulary words are thoroughly covered.
Suitable for life science and biology students in grades 9 -12.
Task cards are a fantastic way to enrich or reinforce lessons, review difficult concepts, or provide extra practice for the struggling student. The student reads each card, performs the task, and records his/her answer on the included student answer sheet.
From the moment of purchase, you will be ready to use your task cards in just a few minutes. Simply print the sheets of task cards on card stock paper, laminate, and cut the cards apart. The cards look best when printed in color, but they can easily be printed in black and white.
This set of 95 task cards on population genetics, Hardy-Weinberg, and speciation covers the following concepts and topics:
• Connecting Natural Selection to Genetics: Review of natural selection, why Darwin struggled with his theory, the connection between Mendelian genetics and natural selection.
• Genes and Variation: Definitions of gene, alleles, populations, and traits.
• Sources of Genetic Variation: Mutations, recombination, and the random pairing of gametes.
• Mutations: Definition of mutation, causes of mutations, beneficial and harmful effects of mutations.
• Recombination: The shuffling of genes and chromosomes during meiosis and gamete formation, the Principle of Independent Assortment, crossing-over, sexual reproduction as a source of variation in a population.
• The Gene Pool: Definition of gene pool, allele frequency, calculating allele frequency. Several practice problems are included to show students how to calculate the allele frequency in a population.
• Phenotypes and Allele Frequencies: The importance of knowing allele frequencies in a population, genetic equilibrium, how to determine if evolution is occurring.
• The Hardy-Weinberg Principle: Definition, the five conditions of a Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium, genetic equilibrium, why scientists use the Hardy-Weinberg Principle.
• Hardy-Weinberg Equation: The equation, what each part of the equation represents, practice problems using the Hardy-Weinberg equation.
• Disruptions to Genetic Equilibrium: Discussion of the five agents of change, mutation, gene flow, genetic drift, nonrandom mating, and natural selection.
• Patterns of Natural Selection: Directional selection, disruptive selection, and stabilizing selection. Includes complete definitions and examples of each.
• Formation of Species: Speciation, differences between geographic isolation and reproductive isolation.
• Reproductive Isolation: Premating (prezygotic) isolation, postmating (postzygotic) isolation, habitat isolation, behavioral isolation, temporal isolation, mechanical isolation, gametic isolation. Many examples are given of each.
• Types of Speciation: Allopatric speciation and sympatric speciation.
• Causes of Sympatric Speciation: Polyploidy, habitat differentiation, and sexual selection.
• Rates of Speciation: Gradualism and punctuated equilibrium.
What is included in this product?
• Teacher Guide containing tips, directions and suggestions.
• A set of 95 task cards in editable and pdf formats.
• Six full page, full color diagrams that are used with selected task cards.
• A student answer sheet for recording answers.
• Blank task cards so that you can add additional questions.
• A complete teacher answer key.
• A teacher answer key PowerPoint that can be used to go over answers with the students.
Related Products Include:
The Evolution of Populations PowerPoint and Notes
A Hardy Weinberg Lab Simulation Activity
Hardy-Weinberg Practice Problems
Evolution Lab: Variation in a Population
Population Genetics, Hardy-Weinberg, and Speciation: Set of 3 Homework Assignments
Population Genetics Crossword Puzzle
Biology Lab: The Hardy-Weinberg Equation (Population Genetics)
Evolution of Populations: Set of 3 Quizzes
The Evolution of Populations (Population Genetics) Unit Text
Theory of Evolution Bundle
Darwin's Diary: The Tale of Evolution
Evolution and Classification Warm Ups and Interactive Notebook Pages
Evolution Lab: Modeling Natural Selection
The History of Life on Earth PowerPoint and Notes
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page