After your introductory unit on evolution and natural selection, you'll want to follow it up with a unit on population genetics, the evolution of populations, and speciation. These 94 slides will captivate your students with stunning photographs and images to provide an in-depth study of population genetics. The PowerPoint covers all the topics you would expect from the “Population Genetics” chapter of a traditional high school biology textbook, including sources of genetic variation, gene pools, the Hardy-Weinberg Principle, the five agents of change, and speciation.
What is included in this product?
• A 94 Slide PowerPoint (Colorful and visually appealing!)
• 15-Page set of lecture notes for the teacher.
• 18-Page guided notes outline for the student.
• 2-Page Teacher Guide
The Power Point is designed to hold the attention of your students. The 94 slides are bright and colorful and contain many, many visually appealing pictures and images. Animations and transitions are included to allow you to control the pace of the lesson. This product also includes a set of notes for the teacher (15 pages) and a guided outline of the notes for the student (18 pages).
Your students are going to love using the outline as you teach. It allows the student more freedom to listen, think, and ask questions during note-taking. The notes are also perfect for students with disabilities or IEP's.
Topics covered include:
• Connecting Natural Selection to Genetics: Review of natural selection, why Darwin struggled with his theory, the connection between Mendelian genetics and natural selection.
• Genes and Variation: Definitions of gene, alleles, populations, and traits.
• Sources of Genetic Variation: Mutations, recombination, and the random pairing of gametes.
• Mutations: Definition of mutation, causes of mutations, beneficial and harmful effects of mutations.
• Recombination: The shuffling of genes and chromosomes during meiosis and gamete formation, the Principle of Independent Assortment, crossing-over, sexual reproduction as a source of variation in a population.
• The Gene Pool: Definition of gene pool, allele frequency, calculating allele frequency. Several practice problems are included to show students how to calculate the allele frequency in a population.
• Phenotypes and Allele Frequencies: The importance of knowing allele frequencies in a population, genetic equilibrium, how to determine if evolution is occurring.
• The Hardy-Weinberg Principle: Definition, the five conditions of a Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium, genetic equilibrium, why scientists use the Hardy-Weinberg Principle.
• Hardy-Weinberg Equation: The equation, what each part of the equation represents, practice problems using the Hardy-Weinberg equation.
• Disruptions to Genetic Equilibrium: Discussion of the five agents of change, mutation, gene flow, genetic drift, nonrandom mating, and natural selection.
• Patterns of Natural Selection: Directional selection, disruptive selection, and stabilizing selection. Includes complete definitions and examples of each.
• Formation of Species: Speciation, differences between geographic isolation and reproductive isolation.
• Reproductive Isolation: Premating (prezygotic) isolation, postmating (postzygotic) isolation, habitat isolation, behavioral isolation, temporal isolation, mechanical isolation, gametic isolation. Many examples are given of each.
• Types of Speciation: Allopatric speciation and sympatric speciation.
• Causes of Sympatric Speciation: Polyploidy, habitat differentiation, and sexual selection.
• Rates of Speciation: Gradualism and punctuated equilibrium.
This resource was written to be used with a high school biology class. It is appropriate for Biology 1, Honors Biology or even an AP Biology class. I have included editable files so that the PowerPoint and accompanying notes can be modified and edited to make this resource a perfect fit for your students.
Related Products Include:
A Hardy Weinberg Lab Simulation Activity
Population Genetics, Hardy-Weinberg, and Speciation Task Cards
Hardy-Weinberg Practice Problems
Evolution Lab: Variation in a Population
Population Genetics, Hardy-Weinberg, and Speciation: Set of 3 Homework Assignments
Evolution of Populations: Set of 3 Quizzes
Population Genetics Crossword Puzzle
Biology Lab: The Hardy-Weinberg Equation (Population Genetics)
The Evolution of Populations (Population Genetics) Unit Text
Theory of Evolution Bundle
Darwin's Diary: The Tale of Evolution
Evolution and Classification Warm Ups and Interactive Notebook Pages
Evolution Lab: Modeling Natural Selection
The History of Life on Earth PowerPoint and Notes
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page