• This PBL Unit is an entire set of lesson plans that uses the project-based teaching method. This project allows your students to become authors and illustrators! Students will be creating a playground for LEGO people. Students will also write a non-fiction book all about playground structures.
At the completion of this project, students will:
• Build sturdy structures
• Use the engineering design process to facilitate the creation of their structure.
• Recognize moving parts and stable parts
• Use a rubric to stay focused on the plan
• Create structures that move with gears
• Create structures that move without gears
• Solve real world story problems using addition and subtraction
• Recognize how counting relates to addition and subtraction
• Addition and subtraction to 20
• Write an informational text about different types of playground structures
The project integrates multiple subject areas including:
Math, Reading, and Writing
This PBL Unit is a 74 page packet and includes:
-Common Core Standards
-List of materials
-Easy to follow lesson plans that last approximately 15 days
-Reproducible student journals that follow daily lessons
This project was created with 1st graders in mind but can be easily adapted for Kindergarten through 3rd grade.
I would love to hear your feedback. Please look for my additional PBL projects soon.