Powers and Exponents Review (I used for Trashketball!)
-write expression using exponents given expanded form
-write expression in expanded form given exponents
-Simplifying numbers with exponents
-Evaluating expressions with exponents for a given value
1. Warm-up w/ answer key. I printed it out but you could also project it onto the board.
2. 20 slides: 10 with questions, 10 with the solutions
I used this review for a competitive game of Trashketball! You could also do this as a basic review on paper or on individual whiteboards. Here's what I did:
1. Students entered and immediately got to work on the 4-question warm-up. I gave them about 3 minutes while I circulated to correct their work and then displayed the answers and had them grade their own paper.
2. My students chose to do boys versus girls, so they rearranged the desks so each group was on a side of the room. Every student had an individual whiteboard and were expected to answer each question on their whiteboard.
3. After about 30-45 seconds, I would draw a name stick from the cup to determine who would answer the question from the group. They would have to show me their whiteboard for credit. If they didn't have it written down, the other team would have the opportunity to "steal" the points. Whoever got it correct earned 3 points and had a chance to shoot a paper ball into the trashcan for extra points.
My scoring guide is as follows:
Correct answer - 3 points
Made basket from designated (close-ish) desk - 2 points
Bonus shot from across the room - 5 points
My students were very into this game and at the end asked "Can we do this everyday?" I will definitely incorporate more trashketball reviews into my class!