This download consists of the following products:
1. PowerPoint Presentation demonstrating how to use patty paper to “see” parallel lines in complex drawings and/or pictures. The PowerPoint has timings built in. All you have to do is hit, “play!”
2. Worksheet for students to practice “seeing” parallel lines in complex drawings. The PowerPoint Presentation includes the first four problems on the worksheet.
3. Answers to the Worksheet
4. Teacher Notes for guidance.
IMPORTANT: This worksheet and PowerPoint presentation should be used AFTER students have been introduced to the angles formed by parallel lines, and their relationships. Students should already be familiar corresponding, alternate-interior, alternate-exterior, & same-side interior angles (sometimes called consecutive angles).
The PowerPoint Presentation gives students step-by-step instructions on how to use patty paper to isolate parallel lines in any given figure. The PowerPoint presentation assumes that students have access to patty paper (wax paper). If this is not a staple in your math department, you may want to procure patty paper elsewhere. There are a few suggestions on how to do this in the Teacher Notes.
1. After students have been taught the basics behind parallel lines, the angles they form and their relationships, give them the worksheet and see if they can name the angle relationships.
2. If they have trouble, play the PowerPoint Presentation (have it ready to go just in case). Given each of them several squares (3 or 4) of patty paper.
3. Pause the PowerPoint when necessary, if the discussion warrants it or to clarify any misconceptions.
4. The PowerPoint will only show students how to do the first four problems on the worksheet, and it doesn’t actually give them the answer. They still have to think about it and then write it down.
5. Allow students to finish the worksheet on their own, using their own patty paper when necessary.
Of course, you know your students better than anyone! If they need a different approach using these materials, then feel free to use them any way necessary!