This activity serves as a summary for adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing rational expressions. Rational expressions can be tricky, especially if a small mistake is made when factoring. By providing students with the answers, this activity allows students to check their work along the way.
Problem Sheet – 1 page with 9 problems
Student Answer Sheet – blank table with the numbers 1 – 9
Scrabbled Sheet – 1 page of the solutions, in scrambled order
1. Copy a class set of the Problem Sheet and the Answer Sheets. (Recommend to copy double-sided). Note: This sheet should never be cut by the students.
2. Copy a class set of the Scrabbled Sheets. Note: This sheet will be cut by the students.
3. Each student will need a pair of scissors and a glue stick.
4. Instruct the students to cut out each square of their Scrabbled Sheets.
5. Then after solving each problem, students should find the matching answer and glue it on the backside of their Answer Sheet on the square for that question.
6. Suggest that students be sure of their match before gluing onto their Answer Sheet.
7. When the students are sure of their match, glue all 9 solutions onto their Answer Sheet.
You may choose to collect this activity as a classwork grade or as a quiz. The Solutions show the correct answers for all 9 problems.
*If you do not have the time or resources to do the cut and paste part of this activity, the first page can be used as a traditional worksheet.
Looking for other resources for rational functions? Check out these products!
Asymptotes of Rational Functions – Sudoku Puzzle
Operations with Rational Expressions – Crossword Puzzle
Solving Rational Equations – Hidden Picture
Operations with Rational Expressions - Dominoes
Practice with Rational Exponents – Hidden Picture