Quickly assess the prerequisite skills your Pre-Calculus students have when they set foot in your classroom. Through this packet, students will review their mathematics before you teach them new material. This unit also includes two activities to encourage parental involvement as well as a certificate to motivate and encourage students to put effort into their math class.
Included in this unit:
1. Review Notes and examples for each topic covered: equations of lines in two variables, factoring, library of functions, transformations, circles, and exponential functions
2. Eighteen linear equations in two variables problems (finding the slope, y-intercept, graphing, writing equations in slope-intercept, point-slope, and standard form, and parallel and perpendicular lines)
3. Twenty-four factoring problems (GCF, difference of two squares, sums and difference of cubes, trinomials, and factoring by grouping)
4. Nine questions on graphing functions by recognizing the parent graph and using transformations
5. Six problems on circles (graphing, writing the equation of circles centered at (h, k) and at the origin, using midpoint and distance formula to determine the center and radius of a circle given its endpoints, and identifying the equation of a circle given its graph)
6. Six problems on graphing exponential functions using transformations
7. Answer Keys
8. Math in the Real World: Interview Activity
9. Family Math Tree
10. I’m Off to a GREAT Start Certificate
For a function that models a relationship between two quantities, interpret key features of graphs and tables in terms of the quantities, and sketch graphs showing key features given a verbal description of the relationship. Key features include: intercepts; intervals where the function is increasing, decreasing, positive, or negative; relative maximums and minimums; symmetries; end behavior; and periodicity.*
Construct and compare linear, quadratic, and exponential models and solve problems.
Distinguish between situations that can be modeled with linear functions and with exponential functions.
Identify the effect on the graph of replacing f(x) by f(x) + k, k f(x), f(kx), and f(x + k) for specific values of k (both positive and negative); find the value of k given the graphs. Experiment with cases and illustrate an explanation of the effects on the graph using technology.
Suggested Lesson Implementation:
1. You can use this as a summer packet for your students to complete by the first day of school. You can collect the packets or simply have the students switch papers and check their answers. They can also come up to the board and show their work.
2. My preference is to give these students this packet on the first day (or within the first week) of school and make it due in five days. That way, students can review the prerequisite skills needed for Pre-Calculus. Some schools undergo a lot of schedule changes during the first week of school so reviewing these skills is not a waste of the student’s time or yours. These skills are necessary for any upper level math course.
3. The Interview assignment and Family Math Tree are interesting ways to get the students to talk about mathematics within their home. You can also log it down as two ways you promote parental involvement in your math class.
4. You can include all or parts of this packet with your emergency substitute lesson plans.
This purchase is for ONE teacher only. This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. Multiple licenses can be purchased at a discounted price.
This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives. Leave feedback to earn credits for future purchases.
Purchase the bundle to $AVE or purchase separately for the class you teach:
BUNDLE Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Precalculus Back to School or Summer Packet
Algebra 1 Readiness Summer or Back to School Packet
Algebra 2 Readiness Summer or Back to School Packet
Geometry Readiness Summer or Back to School Packet
Pre-Calculus Readiness Summer or Back to School Packet
IB Math Studies Readiness Summer or Back to School Packet