Predicting Weather – A Fifth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two fully interactive presentation slidse that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activites during the presentation as reinforcement for the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (forecast, meteorologist, and weather map).
• Why people need to know the weather.
• Understanding weather maps.
• Weather fronts.
• West to east rule (jet stream).
• High and low pressure systems.
• Weather data collection tools.
The last slides are white-background and used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
The interactive/review slide and printable:
• The first activity is a labeling/matching activity where students match descriptions with vocabulary/pictures. Included vocabulary: forecast, low pressure system, meteorologist, weather map, front, high pressure system, Doppler radar, weather satellite, and weather balloon.
• The second activity is a crossword puzzle that includes the following vocabulary: forecast, low pressure system, meteorologist, weather map, front, high pressure system, Doppler radar, weather satellite, and weather balloon.
SMARTBoard presentations require the use of Notebook Software. They are not compatible with Promethean Active Inspire software. There are free SMARTBoard viewers online, however.