This game is perfect for semantics to learn the basic prefixes: Re, Pre, Un, and Dis.
How to use:
- Print pages with root word cards on them, laminate, Cut and put root words in a bag for students to pick out of.
- Make four stations with each Prefix (Re, Pre, Un, Dis) - discuss meanings of each of these prefixes with your students. Models and Visual reminders are given at the top of the chart page, hand a chart page to each student.
- Have students pick a card out of the bag. Discuss the meaning of the root word.
- Have students guess which prefix goes with which root word and why, how does it change the meaning? Can the root word be fit into multiple prefix categories?
- After discussing each root word + prefix that can possibly got with it, have students write the words on their Prefix Chart and the definition of each word.
- Continue until all boxes are filled out or time permits.
- Finally, use the accompanying worksheet for reinforcement to these new words, morphology and syntax, and editing.