• Mini-lesson chart: Prefixes practiced in this lesson with their meanings.
• Seven activities for cooperative groups or stations. Each activity consists of 18 cards with prefixes (in red), base words (in green), and the meaning for the new word (in blue).
This color coded cards are ready to be laminated and cut. Then, students will pair them up and thus practice forming new words using prefixes in a fun way.
• Templets to be used for presentation, student work place, and self-evaluation.
1. Introduction: Once the students have the color cards cut, they will receive a presentation templet and a blank templet. They will fill in the blank templet using the cards following the example or presentation templet provided. That will allow the students to get acquainted with the activity while they are able to manipulate the information.
2. Next, students will shuffle the cards again and will match each base word with its prefix and new meaning without the presentation templet.
3. After that, students will get the presentation templet again in order assess themselves and keep tract of their progress.
4. Finally, students may choose 2 or 3 words from the activity and will write a complete sentences with each one of them. More advanced students may write one sentence or a paragraph using all the words. This can be done individually or in teams. The winner is the one that uses more words correctly.