Hi! I made these for my students, and after realizing how well it works I wanted to share with everyone! This is a great and fun way for students to learn about prefixes and suffixes.
This document contains 10 prefixes and 10 suffixes.
Each page has a prefix or a suffix and has at least three root words that match it.
You can do at least FIVE different activities with this resource! (Or create your own!)
1) TIMED (my students personal favorite): Lay out all 10 prefixes or suffixes in front of the student(s). Then give them a pile of all of the possible root words. Time them for 1-2 minutes and have them match up as many as they possibly can. The first ones that they do will show the ones that they recognize and so it will show you what ones you need to work on. Continue doing this and see if they can beat how many words they can make in the same time frame. You can do this individually or in groups.
2) CREATE YOUR OWN SENTENCES: Have the students create 10 different words (you can specify if you want them to do prefixes, suffixes, or both) and write a sentence for each word. This will help them with comprehension, and will show you what words they are confused with. (You could also have them create a word of their own with the prefix or suffix.)
3) BULLITEN BOARD FUN: Create a bulliten board that has each prefix and suffix on it, along with the puzzle pieces right next to it so they can see the different words you can make with each prefix or suffix! This will give them support with reading comprehension and writing.
(You could also make a velcro board and put velcro pieces on the back of the puzzles so the students can play around with different words.)
4) MULTIPLE CHOICE: Put a prefix or suffix on the board along with three different root words, with only one of the words able to match with it. The students must choose which root word is the correct one.
5) DEFINITIONS: Have the students write down prefixes and suffixes and then write the definition of each word. You could also have them decide what they think the prefix or suffix means based on the meanings of the words.