Absolute and relative location are two basic, important geography tools that all students must master. Why not teach students these vital skills in a fun, active way? This assignment will do just that!
Absolute location, of course, requires students to use latitude and longitude to give their answers. Relative location requires cardinal directions (north, south, east, west) and intermediate directions (northeast, northwest, southeast, southwest).
While there are many available assignments to teach these concepts to elementary school and middle school/junior high school students, here's one with a twist!
Students will locate all 20 English Premier League football (soccer) clubs using absolute and relative location. They will also determine which of the United Kingdom's geographic regions these teams are located in.
This would be an effective assignment near the beginning of the school year when you are introducing these concepts. However, its strength will help reinforce skills later in the school year as well.
Included, please find the assignment with a chart for record-keeping, an answer key, and an idea for an extension assignment.
Plus, how about this idea for an educational technology twist? If you have Google Earth installed on your classroom computer(s), you can visit each and every Premier League football stadium! Simply, download the KML file included in this packet and the file should load automatically into Google Earth. Take your students on a virtual tour today.
There are a few "sister" assignments to this one:
If you like this product, consider purchasing these related items from my store:
1. Absolute & Relative Location Assignment: NFL Football Teams + Google Earth Tour!
2. Let's Explore the Continents! - Use Map Skills to Find Places - Bundle
3. Ancient Civilizations - Egypt - Famous Pharaohs Research Project with Rubric
4. Analyze U.S. Amendments (Bill of Rights) Assignment - Constitution
5. What Time Is It? Introducing American Standard Time Zones Assignment
6. Substitute Lesson A to Z Geography World Cities & Countries
7. Create-a-Country Geography Skills Project - SCALABLE
8. The Aquarium Map Scale Project: Geography: Map Tools: Substitute Lesson
9. Five Themes, Geography - Vocabulary Match Assignment & 3 Puzzles
10. Introductory Geography Terms - Vocabulary Matching Assignment + 6 Puzzles
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License