Prepare your students to become effective speakers and communicators through this easy to follow Common Core Standards based lesson and activity guide. This 10 slide PowerPoint presentation guides students through the process of preparing and organizing a public speaking presentation. This lesson is easily adapted for planning and writing essays. It also includes scaffolds and graphic organizers which are effective for English learners.
Your students will be able to:
- Generate topic and ideas
- Brainstorm interesting ideas for a speech/presentation
- Choose a topic based on specific criteria for an effective speech/presentation
- List the benefits of a well-organized speech/presentation
- Outline the basic components of a speech/presentation
- Use academic language related to communication
You may also want to use these activities as follow-up to this lesson:
- “Strong Public Speaking: Opening and Concluding” (PowerPoint)
- “Public Speaking: Speech Planning Guide” (worksheet)
Key Common Core Standards
SL.4: Present information, findings, and supporting evidence clearly, concisely, and logically such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, substance, and style are appropriate to purpose, audience, and task.
SL.6: Adapt speech to a variety of contexts and tasks, demonstrating command of formal English when indicated or appropriate.
Prepare and Organize an Effective Speech
by Scott N. Forrest
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License
ELD, English learner, Education, middle school, high school, secondary, lesson plans, teacher, instructional tools, teaching strategies, curriculum, SDAIE, graphic organizer, teacher supplies, English language learning, second language, language arts, guided writing, public speaking, communications