Standardized communication assessment of young learners can be difficult. I developed this informal play-centered assessment to elicit/document early language skills in those early communicators. Learn more about my Early Communicator Assessment on my blog, www.shipshapespeech.com
This download includes the assessment documentation form and material list to develop a kit to elicit the following skills:
1. Social Responsiveness/Engagement: Tasks to elicit eye gaze, response to name, anticipation of activities, turn-taking with toys, and response to questions.
2. Imitation Skills: Tasks to elicit imitation of physical gestures, oral movements, movements paired with exhalation (horns,whistles), and vocal play objects and picture cards. (More on vocal play coming soon!)
3. Vocabulary Skills: Tasks to elicit object matching, receptive identification of objects, attention to digital photos, receptive identification and expressive labeling skills.
4. Verbalizations and Communicative Functions: Tasks to elicit intentional communication such as choice-making, indicate continuance of a preferred activity, protest non-preferred activity and request objects/actions.
5. Play skills: Tasks to elicit object manipulation, activation, functional play and pretend play.