Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
0.94 MB | 36 pages
It’s difficult to find resources to help specifically teach subjunctive.
The PowerPoint (30+ slides) gives a breakdown of each area of the subjunctive and then follows each with practice exercises. Below is the general content of the slides:
- Background to the subjunctive PRESENT SUBJUNCTIVE
- Use / common verbs /
- Form (verbs and verb to be), including negative form
- Defective verbs
- Using “should”
- Present perfect subjunctive
- If clause (for a likely result) including whether
- Common subjunctive phrases (e.g. be that as it may / come what may)
- Form, including negative
- 2nd Conditional including wish/if only
Next, there is a reading comprehension worksheet that may be printed and photocopied for your students. The story incorporates the grammar of present and past subjunctive in context through a playful variation on the lion the witch and the wardrobe (the worksheet was designed for teenagers).
The first page is the story (450+ words and you can edit the names of the characters to match your students’ names) about a girl who doesn't want to listen to what her mum tells her.
Expressions in the story include:
- Be that as it may...
- If that be true...
- ...lest he/she...
- Far be it from me to...
On page two of the worksheet are a number of activities:
1. True/False reading comprehension questions
2. Make sentences in subjunctive form from prompts
3. A fallen phrases puzzle
4. A cryptogram - each letter of the alphabet corresponds to a number, like a code.
5. A crossword puzzle.
The puzzles are not editable, but the story and the comprehension questions are (as is the PowerPoint).
There is an answer key for the worksheet (and answers to the PowerPoint exercises appear individually on mouse click).
This PowerPoint show and worksheet have been used with upper high-school students at a private school in Asia, and with adult learners too.
I hope it is useful to you.