Your students will love this presidential rhyming/couplet activity designed for Presidents' Day. Even students who find poetry hard to write find it much easier with this activity!
Students brainstorm rhyming words first to use in their couplets. They then write couplets using the rhyming words on a rough draft page. Finally, students write their good copies on one of the templates provided (which can also be colored).
This packet includes:
1. Directions for using the activities in your classroom
2. Rhyming brainstorming activity sheets (both color and black/white)
3. Sample brainstorming pages with rhyming words
4. Presidential couplet writing sheet
5. Presidential couplet sample page
6. Four writing templates for good copies of couplets
Please see the preview and thumbnails to view some sample pages.
Are you looking for new ideas for Presidents' Day? Give these creative resources a look:
Website Sleuths: Presidents' Day
Website Sleuths: George Washington and Abraham Lincoln
Lincoln & Washington Idiom Art Activity
Quick Quotations: Abraham Lincoln
Quick Quotations: John F. Kennedy
Quick Quotations: Barack Obama
Quick Quotations: The Presidential Bundle
February Noun & Adjective Challenge
★ You may also want to check out my interactive notebook on poetry as well:
"Less Mess" Poetry Interactive Notebook Activities
It is also available in the following bundle:
"Less Mess" Poetry & Figurative Language Interactive Notebook Activities BUNDLE