This interactive unit helps students to understand the role of the president. Let your students be president for a week with these fun activities.
Reading Passage (What is a President?)
-Main idea graphic organizer
-Anticipation Guide (can be used with suggested book or with the reading passage)
-Can, Do, Are graphic organizer (3 choices)
Learning about past presidents: Abe Lincoln and George Washington
~reading passages with T chart and Venn diagram.
~ Read, Think, Match presidents
~Read and Sequence: Abe Lincoln
My Principal reading passage with Venn diagram to compare principals to presidents
President For the Week:
1. Balancing the Budget interactive activity (Students are given $2.00 in dimes. Then they are asked to choose which "programs" to give money to. Then they will write about their choices, stating their opinions and explaining their reasoning.)
2. Choosing Leaders writing prompt (2 different formats for varying levels): Like the president, students will choose important leaders. They will describe the qualities they see in that person that makes them a good choice.
3. Passing Laws: Students will write about laws they would like to veto or pass in their classroom or in our country. Reading passage is included to explain the president's role
4. Solving Conflicts: Students are given task cards with conflict situations. They will write about their solutions. (Compare to the president working with world leaders to solve problems)
5. Making Speeches graphic organizer ("State of the Classroom" speech)
Click on the preview to see more.