PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
President’s Day is approaching and these balanced literacy activities are just what you need to get your students ready! Not only are they aligned to the Common Core, but they also teach historical facts about our two greatest presidents that will boost your social studies curriculum! Take a look at what’s included in this product:
• A page for each president (Washington & Lincoln) with suggested books to read and several additional facts to share with students.
• Gentleman George: Two separate pages differentiated for Pre-K /Kdg. level and the other for 1st/2nd Grade level with “George Washington…..could /had / was” charts.
• Amiable Abe: Two separate pages differentiated for Pre-K /Kdg. level and the other for 1st/2nd Grade level with “Abe Lincoln….could / had/ was” charts.
• Comparing Commanders in Chief: Venn Diagram to compare/contrast the two famous presidents.
• Presidential Building Blocks: Word building page. Students cut out the letters in the word “President” and use them to build new words. They use the top of the page to record all the new words they have made.
• Symbolic Syllables: Students say the word at the beginning of each row (words are all US symbols or related) and color in the correct number of stars to show the number of syllables in that word.
• Goodnight , Mr. President: An original poem in which a child wonders what presidents wear to bed, dream about, and do when they have scary dreams. (To be read before completing the following page.)
• President Obama’s Pajamas: A creative writing activity. Children imagine what Mr. Obama’s pajamas might look like, illustrate their ideas, and write their thoughts.
• A Pretty President?: Writing Activity in which students consider a woman in their lives (mother, grandmother, teacher, etc.) who might make a good president, illustrate her picture and write about why she would be a good candidate.
• How Do the Presidents Measure Up?: Math activity. Students hypothesize how many pennies tall Washington and Lincoln were (based upon the height markers the teacher provides) and then measure to determine the presidents’ actual heights in pennies.
**If you purchase and enjoy this product, please take a moment to rate it and provide feedback! Thank you so much!**
President's Day Parade by Laurie Gibbons is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.