Finding materials to teach young students about Presidents Day is always tough; it is also very difficult to devote a large block of time to social studies, especially with the increased expectations for literacy in the Common Core State Standards. This unit will allow you to work on reading and writing informational text while still discussing and celebrating Presidents Day!!
Here are the contents of this Reading/Writing Unit for Presidents Day:
1. George Washington Early Reader Student Little Book- 10 pages
2. George Washington Teacher Copy for Shared Reading- 10 pages (can be printed as a class book or projected from the computer)
3. George Washington Comprehension Quiz- Students use the printable book to look up answers
4. Abraham Lincoln Early Reader Student Little Book- 11 pages
5. Abraham Lincoln Teacher Copy for Shared Reading- 11 pages (can be printed as a class book or projected from the computer)
6. Abraham Lincoln Comprehension Quiz- Students use the printable book to look up answers
7. Two Pre-Writing Graphic Organizers- one each for Washington and Lincoln
8. Four Writing Pages- 2 each for Lincoln and Washington; both blank line and handwriting line versions
9. Presidents Day Vocabulary Word Wall Mini-Bulletin Board Set: Header and 16 word cards that students will use in reading and writing about Presidents Day
10. Presidents Day Word Fun: Two word building pages and two word search activities using Presidents Day vocabulary- there are two levels of the word search: one has all of the words written across and the second has words both across and up/down.
I hope you find this useful for your classroom!
Thanks for looking and happy teaching!!