Suitable for UK teachers
Could be useful, but would need to be adapted, for US teachers.
Contents of pack
PowerPoint presentation that includes:
• Define key words: extremism and tolerance
• Identify why extremism is dangerous
• Identify why tolerance is important
• Say how you can challenge extreme ideas
Task 1: Define key words: extremism and tolerance.
Work with a partner to define ‘extremism’ and ‘tolerance’.
You can use either an online or hard copy dictionary to help you.
Add examples of extremism and tolerance you know underneath your definitions.
Task 2: In groups, discuss why you think extremism can be dangerous. Write at least three points of how you would challenge someone who held these views. Feedback your points to the whole class.
Task 3: In a group discuss why you think tolerance of others ideas and opinions is important. Write down at least three of your ideas and feedback to the whole class.
• Worksheets for all tasks
• Reading and writing activity
• Extremism and tolerance word search