Looking for a fun and engaging way for students to preview books? This is the perfect activity for you!
Instead of having students simply dig through buckets of books in my library, I like to set up a “Diner” setting and have students rotate to different tables. select an appetizer (book 1), entre (book 2) and dessert (book 3). After selecting 3 books, they put in their “order” and select their book to read.
This activity is STRUCTURED, FUN and REINFORCES important strategies to use when previewing text!
Included in this set:
- 8.5 x 11 poster on how to preview text
- "Previewing Text" journal entry
- Two sided menu - Pages 3 and 4, copy front to back
- “I love books” placemat - Page 5
- 2 “Welcome to the Book Diner” 8.5 x 11 signs - Pages 6&7
- 1 two sided “Welcome to the Book Diner sign” - Page 8 (to be folded like a tent)
- “Appetizer”, “Entrée”, “Dessert” and “Book Diner” table cards – Page 9&10 (cut out, fold like tent, and place on tables)