This PowerPoint includes various activities (to be completed in six different class periods) that relate to the novel. Topics of the activities are as follows:
1. Identity analysis of characters
2. Setting analysis
3. Poetry analysis and comparison
4. Finding culture connections in the novel
5. Determining themes and relating them to haiku
6. Analyzing symbolic places in the novel and creating blackout poetry based on the book
Each of these daily activities correlate to the small group presentation assignment in my shop! During my unit, I would assign two presentations per day and start class with them, following the presentations with one of these activities (ex: students will complete the setting analysis after hearing the Bushwick presentation). Many of these assignments started as classwork and ended up being homework for students.