This packet provides everything to help teaching your student(s) how to go from adding horizontal equations to a vertical equations putting the digits in the correct columns.
If you've taught this subject you know just how difficult a concept this is for some children to grasp. (They put a single digit in the tens column, they put *both* digits of a two digit number in the same column.)
This unit provide LOTS of practice with both single and double digit numbers.
Also included is challenge work, so the students who "get it" instantly aren't bored while you circulate helping those who need it.
The initial work is all WITHOUT carrying/regrouping so you can focus on this one skill.
1. One full page of one digit + two digit number across to up & down (with columns) and two digit across to 2 digit vertical. (Columns are provided - see thumbnails.)
2. One full page of two digit (tens-20s-30s-40s) + another 2 digit number horizontal to vertical.
3. One full page with three digit across to 3 digit vertical problems + challenge work
4. One full page of 4,5, & 6 digit simple addition.
(Students always enjoy adding such "big" looking numbers!)
5. Answer keys are provided for all the above noted work
6. Page E - Two digit across to two digit vertical WITH carrying (ones column only)
7. Page F - Subtraction two digit MINUS (one or two digit) across to vertical (No Borrowing so you can focus on columns for review.)
8. Page A - 3 digit vertical to vertical VERY EASY (with challenge carrying last two rows)
- Answer keys are provided for all above sheets.
Final BONUS page: Extra challenge work:
9. Page -PV - Name the BIG number - Challenge work for "hotshots" (or entire class) to
practice putting commas and learning name big numbers by placing the digits in the
proper group (thousands, millions, billions, trillions for the 1st, "nothings" group)
copyright 2012 Scott Beatty - All rights reserved
search engine tags: primary additional across to up and down, primary addition horizontal to vertical, 2nd grade adding across to up and down, 2nd grade addition horizontal to vertical, primary one and two digit numbers to columns, primary across equations to vertical equations, 2nd grade adding across to adding up and down, second grade adding across to adding up and down, introduction to addition, primary addition, addition of columns, simple addition, addition activities, place value and addition