Encourage problem-solving and creativity with these open math problems specifically-designed for primary classrooms. Because they have multiple possible answers, this package is inherently differentiated to support a variety of learners.
Check out the PREVIEW!
Last updated: June 11, 2016.
This package is designed according to the Ontario Mathematics curricula for all 5 strands for Kindergarten to Grade 3. The product is divided by strands and is subdivided by topics within strands. However, it is also appropriate for other regions (includes both American and UK/Canadian spellings when appropriate).
- math centers
- individual tasks
- group tasks
- whole-class tasks
- math conferences (guided math)
- bell work
- math interventions, math enrichment
- teaching students how to use manipulatives
- early finishers
- problem of the week
- bulletin boards
- open house curriculum nights
- #mathstory on Twitter
The majority of pages concern Number Sense and Numeration (which has some integration with the other strands). This strand should be kept active throughout the year. It's my intentions that these activities will "be sprinkled in" during your other units in order to maintain those skills and knowledge.
The following are the 5 Mathematics strands from the Ontario curriculum. Listed within each are the major topics covered in each strand.
- Number Sense and Numeration
* 1-to-1 correspondence and counting
* skip counting
* representations of numbers
* addition (including with 2+ addends)
* number sentences and equality
* fractions (or "sharing equally")
* proportional reasoning (multiplication, division)
* comparing objects
* height, width, length
* perimeter (includes Geometry and NS&N)
* area (includes Geometry and NS&N)
* temperature, seasons
* time, elapsed time
- Data Management and Probability
* sorting items
* collecting data
* interpreting data
- Geometry and Spatial Sense
* lines and angles
* two-dimensional geometry
* three-dimensional geometry
* geometry in everyday life
* directions, mapping
- Patterning and Algebra
* creating patterns
* growing and shrinking patterns
* expressions of equality (also see Number Sense and Numeration)
My Senior Kindergarten and Grade 1 students complete these whole-class or during Math Conferences (Guided Math) with me. They glue the task in a notebook and write or draw their answer underneath. Then, they date stamp the page. I make notes about how independently they completed the task, which prompts were needed, and any noteable "math talk" they said.
After answering, students can share in a "sharing circle" or a gallery walk (put their books on their desks and walk around to see others' answers).
Share your answers on Twitter with the hashtag #mathstory
Ontario Mathematics Curriculum Performance Wall/Rubric (Knowledge and Understanding, Application, Communication, and Thinking) with a frog theme and green background - as well as student checklists for self-reflection and checking their own work.
Other areas of the curriculum touched on in this resource include: animals, holidays, family, countries/regions, FNMI (First Nations, Metis, Inuit), Canadiana, different abilities, waste and waste reduction, community helpters, and food/nutrition.
Remember to leave feedback in order to earn TPT points - which can be used toward future purchases!
Do you have an open math problem that you'd like to see as part of this package? "Ask A Question" (see the tabs on my TPT store) to leave a comment and be notified when it's completed! Purchasers will be able to download the revised version for free!
More Math Products:
* Place Value Monster Math: 2-, 3-, and 4-digit numbers
* Place Value Rabbit (Easter) Math: 2-, 3-, and 4-digit numbers
* Canadian Coins Word Wall Cards - FREEBIE!
* 2D and 3D Geometry Word Wall Cards with Pictures
* Numbers and Numerals Word Wall Cards - FREEBIE!
* Adding 2-digit Numbers
* Spring-Themed Open Math Problems
(Ontario Kindergarten Curriculum)
* Fall-Themed Open Math Problems
(Ontario Grade 1 Curriculum)
* Representing Numbers with Base 10
* I Have, Who has? - Base 10 - #s 1-50