Prime and Composite Mix Up!
This is a fun monster themed sorting activity focusing on prime and composite numbers up to 100!
Objective: Students sort "spilled" numbered gumballs into the appropriate machine, either prime or composite.
This can be used as an independent activity, homework, formative assessment, or a math workshop station.
There are included tools and alternative pages that allow this activity to be used as an extension or provide scaffolding for those mathematicians that need more support!
Included in this activity:
- Labeled prime and composite gumball machines
- Unlabeled prime and composite gumball machines (students will determine whether machines are prime or composite by the numbers that are already in each machine)
- "Loose" prime and composite gumballs
- Recording sheet
- Directions: which include prime and composite number rules and examples on how to determine if a number is prime or composite.
- Completed prime and composite hundreds chart
- Grid paper for creating arrays
- Answer Key