Literary analysis essay assignment where students compare and contrast two texts through a shared theme/main idea and supporting details. Great year round activity, capstone writing project, or end of the year assignment / end of course essay assignment if you want to have students compare other texts (books, poems, short stories, articles etc.) that they read in class!
- Choose two texts and analyze how characters have developed throughout.
- Look for theme topics (main ideas) that are present throughout the text.
- Choose a strong theme topic they believe is prevalent in both texts.
- Identify and explain how specific characters and events from both books relate to the theme topic.
- Create a theme statement (lesson/message) they believe both authors are trying to convey in their book.
- Write a literary analysis essay linking the two texts based on the shared theme.
Print and digital versions available!
- Google™ Slides
- Compatible with Easel by TpT
1. Character Analysis Worksheet
- Students analyze how specific characters developed throughout each text through specific events and interactions with other characters.
- This helps students recall major events, characters and character relationships from the texts they read.
- Four Answer keys included!
2. Theme Info Sheet defining theme topic vs theme statement.
- Theme topic: broad; 1-2 words; repeated throughout text - (ex: adventure)
- Theme statement: message/lesson the author reveals through the theme topic (ex: Adventure can sometimes keep you from the people you love the most.)
3. Venn Diagram
- Compare and contrast two texts to identify theme topics both texts share as well as themes that are different.
4. Graphic Organizer
- Choose a theme topic they believe both texts share and identify and explain how specific characters, settings and events relate to/develop the theme.
5. Theme Statement
- Students create a theme statement detailing the message/lesson the author is repeating throughout the text.
- Theme topic: Adventure
- Theme statement: Adventure can sometimes keep you from the people you love the most.
- Two different versions included: one chart and one graphic organizer
- Three answer keys included
6. Essay Prompt
- Editable essay prompt sheet with helpful hints for students to use to structure their essay.
File Type: Zip - PDF, Microsoft Word & Google Slides
Total Pages: 50
Content Pages: 38
FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO OPEN A ZIP FILE:
Resources That Might Interest You:
☆ Be sure to follow my store to be alerted about new products.
☆ Want to earn TPT credits that can get you a discount on your next purchase? Don't forget to leave feedback!