Our Print and Teach Read Aloud is a great way to foster a love for reading, while teaching the Common Core Standards in Reading Literature for Third, Fourth, and Fifth Grade students.
Educators in many different settings can easily print and teach this lesson. Classroom teachers, substitute teachers, literacy assistants teaching small groups, after school programs, gifted programs, and home school educators can use this engaging, fun product.
Our first story is Billywise, which is a beautifully illustrated picture book, about an owlet that never thinks he will learn to fly. With encouraging words from his mother and his own courage, he finally dares to fly.
Each Print and Teach Read Aloud comes with Before, During, and After reading activities.
This product includes:
KWL Chart: Have students individually or in pairs brainstorm what they know about owls, what they want to learn about owls, and after reading, completing the section about what they learned.
1. Cause/Effect: While the teacher is reading the story aloud, students will individually complete the cause/effect chart. Educators can choose from a blank chart or a partially completed chart.
2. My Golden Line: Students listen for a sentence or phrase that appealed to them because of sound, language, or content. They write it on the paper provided and write why they chose it. It might remind them of something or students may like the way it sounded. Then illustrate its meaning.
3. Pictures and Words: Students examine and explain how specific aspects of a text's illustrations contribute to what is conveyed by the words in a story.
1. Students finish their KWL chart and complete what they learned about owls.
2. Comprehension Questions
3. Art: Make an owl and research and record new facts about owls or find answers to what you wanted to learn about owls from your KWL chart.
4. Learn about the author and illustrator.
There is also a list of other related books.
Items needed to use this product is the book Billywise by Judith Nicholls
and if you choose to complete the art project, each child will need one cupcake liner.
Our next Print and Teach Read Aloud is My Brother Martin. Coming soon!!