This engaging and informative lesson enables students to to make precise interpretations regarding the characters of Charlie and Tommo in Private Peaceful. In particular, students analyse how the relationship between the two characters is introduced and then developed throughout the novel. They also make key inferences about the similarities and differences between the brothers.
The lesson follows a step-by-step learning journey, in which children learn through:
- Comparing and contrasting the characteristics of the two brothers;
- Comprehending how the brothers' relationship is introduced by Morpugo in the opening chapters;
- Tracking and analysing how their relationship develops over the course of the novel;
- Creating character profiles for both brothers, using a (provided) template and the information that they have gathered over the course of the lesson;
- Peer assessing each other's learning attempts.
- Whole lesson PowerPoint - colourful and comprehensive;
- Character Profile Templates (Word and PDF);
- Relationship Development Graph Template (Word and PDF);
- Extracts from Private Peaceful;
- Comprehensive lesson plan.
There are also opportunities for group learning, speaking and listening, peer assessment, and whole class discussion. I originally used these resources with year 7 and 8 classes, however colleagues have used them for between years 3 and 9 with minimal adaptations.
Please note that students will need internet or library access to complete the research introduction task.
All images are licensed for commercial use, and image rights are listed on the last page of the presentation.