Save $3 by buying these three resources together in this problem solving bundle. You can buy them all separate, or save by purchasing all three at once:
* Guide to Introducing Standards for Math Practice to Your Students (Grades 3-5) (Bestseller!)
* Open Ended Word Problems: Complex, Multi-Step Challenges (Grade 3-5) (Bestseller!)
* Word Problems for Multiplication and Division: 9 Problem Types (Grades 3-4)
I use all three of these together in my own third grade classroom.
1. First I introduce the math practice standards. The guide has step by step instructions to help young problem solvers understand what those standards mean.
2. Then, once we've worked through those, we use the practice problems as we begin learning about multiplication and division. The practice problems have an assessment system built in so that you can target instruction. *The problem types are most appropriate for third grade, but could be used for struggling fourth/fifth graders.*
3. The open ended problems are used more sparingly, when students need a challenge, with parent groups and also as whole class problem solving. The open ended problems are great for preparing students for the rigor of the upcoming Common Core assessments.
Giving 20 minutes daily for problem solving in the math block, along with purposeful planning will get students thinking, working and problem solving in creative and amazing ways! There are 105 unique problems in the entire bundle.
Be sure to visit my blog to see these lessons and activities in action!
For more open ended problems and performance tasks:
Open Ended Problems - Set 2
Holiday Version - Open Ended Problems (Performance Task)