I am obsessed with this activity! It is really 3 practice procedural text activities rolled into one lesson!
In groups, students will start with by solving a letter mystery to spell out the word PROCEDURE. Once that is done, they will flip those cards over to solve another procedural text mystery by pulling instruction cards out of a bag and putting them in order. Finally, they will fill out a higher level questioning task sheet about the instruction cards! The students will have to justify their answers and solve the final mystery of "what they are making or creating." All of these three components are connected to make less work on the teacher and create more engagement for the students!
Here are the teacher instructions that are provided in the product! Please check out the preview also!
1. Each table will receive a set of PROCEDURE letter cards (these cards should be folded on the dotted line with the words folded BACK behind the letter and mixed up.) Each table will also receive a PROCEDURAL TEXT MYSTERY Card and a set of card instructions (6) for procedure they have to put in order and the task sheet that goes with it. Putting these all in baggies will help! I also run each group off on different color paper!
2. Each table will FIRST complete the PROCEDURAL TEXT MYSTERY CARD with the PROCEDURE letters. The students will follow the instructions on the card to put the letters in order. (The students will not know what word these letters spell until the follow the instructions on the card.
3. Next, they will flip each letter card over and follow the instructions on the back of that card.
4. While they are following those instructions, they will be ordering the 6 procedure cards and filling in their task sheet.
5. You or the students can check the answer keys provided to see if they did the procedure correctly!
In the end, the students have completed three procedural text activities rolled into one!
There are enough for 5 groups to each have a different procedural text instruction set!
Procedural Instructions Include:
-Drawing a Snowman
If this seems confusing, I will be doing a FACEBOOK Live video tonight and you can see what this activity is all about! You will be able to find it here after it is completed!
Facebook Live Video
I hope you will check this out! My students love this activity and it is great for an observation or just to review procedural text!
Answer Keys are Included!