Here’s a meaningful project your students will never forget. This CROSS CURRICULAR, HANDS-ON, REAL-WORLD project gives you everything you need to simulate an ARCHAEOLOGY DIG. Students use PLANNING, PROBLEM SOLVING, CRITICAL THINKING, and RESEARCH skills as they become archaeologists and feel like detectives solving a mystery. This can be used with many Social Studies Units of study such as civilizations, tribes, cultures, or time periods. Students utilize math with MEASUREMENT, AREA, and PERIMETER. They will be asked to read non-fiction informational texts and write about their experience as well as ORGANIZE RESEARCH. Practice worksheets prepare them for application of skills and fosters thinking and problem solving. Students PLAN, CREATE, ANALYZE, come up with THEORIES, and ask QUESTIONS. Choices for COMMUNICATING and SHARING their project are included. A two part RUBRIC asks students to REFLECT on their participation and work. Illustrated lesson plans, suggestions, and instructions are mainly for an outdoor project, but indoor directions are included. This is a terrific project for groups to learn COOPERATION and COLLABORATION.
COMMON CORE ALIGNED
THIS RESOURCE INCLUDES…..
* 12 Pages of Lesson Plans, Instructions, and Suggestions that include Communicating project results
* 42 Vocabulary Cards for understanding Archaeology
* 14 Essential Question Mini Posters
* Suggestions for Parent Letter and Supply List
* 2 Homework Projects and/or Class Activities
* 2 Practice Graphic Organizers with suggested answer keys to help students with critical thinking
* 1 Archaeology sites Area and Perimeter Practice with answer key
* 1 Coordinate Square Box Grid Practice with answer key
* 11 pages for a Student Journal where students record, sketch, analyze, draw conclusions, research and reflect on their findings
* Project Participation/Cooperation Rubric for student reflection and teacher grade
* Project Rubric for Written Work
* 16 half pages of a sample Student Photo Journal one of my classes made at the end of the project.
* Bonus extended Hands-On project on-line and explained
If you are interested in a more comprehensive resource of ARCHAEOLOGY VOCABULARY with ACTIVITIES and ASSESSMENTS click on the link below.
Archaeology Word Wall, Activities, Assessments, and Application
You might also like these engaging Units of Study
Cinderella, Culture and the Common Core: A Multicultural Fairytale Unit
Biography Informational Text Research and Project
The Mystery Genre: Bundled Unit for Grades 3-5
It’s important to me that teachers are completely satisfied with their purchase!
If you have any question or concerns about this product please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also go to the Q and A section of my TPT store and leave a message
GREAT NEWS!! TPT now offers schools the ability to purchase resources for you.
Click on the “SCHOOLS” link above on this page (upper right).
EARNING TPT CREDITS
After purchasing and using this product you can earn TpT credits by leaving feedback. I love reading feedback and really appreciate the time you take to let me know how you used this resource with your students and what you loved best. To leave feedback and start earning TpT credits:
1. Go to your “My Purchases" and click on the Provide Feedback link.
2. Let us know how you used this product in your classroom and what you loved best!
DON’T MISS OUT
If you like this product, please visit Chrysti’s Class
to see more.
All new products are on sale the first 2 days after publishing. To find out about my new products, sales, freebies, and any product updates, click the star green ★ button at the top of my store page or when you download a free resource.